Bertelsmann’s publishing work is restructured
At the end of the 1950s, decentralization as a management principle is firmly mainstreamed at Bertelsmann with the introduction of profit centers – independently operating business units. In the course of further developments, however, overlaps arise in the work of individual publishers. In addition, pressure on the advertising, production and distribution departments increases. In order to ease the burden on individual publishers and streamline the range, the publishing production is sorted more according to subject. Each of the units includes the word “Bertelsmann” in its name: C. Bertelsmann Verlag (belletristic publisher), Bertelsmann Jugendbuchverlag (youth book publisher), Bertelsmann Kunstverlag (art publisher), Bertelsmann Sachbuchverlag (nonfiction publisher), Bertelsmann Lexikon Verlag (lexicons), Bertelsmann Ratgeberverlag (advice books), Bertelsmann Fachverlag (specialist publisher), Bertelsmann Universitätsverlag (university publisher) and Kartographisches Institut Bertelsmann (Cartographic Institute). Only the market research and travel publishers omit the parent company’s name. The management of the publishing group is transferred to the former Managing Director of C. Bertelsmann Verlag, Rudolf Wendorff (1915-2012).